The history of the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Geography dates back to June 1961, when, on the basis of a request from members of the Melitopol Department of the All-Union Geographical Society, the Minister of Education signed an order to organize the Melitopol State Pedagogical Institute of the Biology and Geography Faculty. Over time, the name of the faculty was transformed into a “natural-geographical” in connection with the separation of the chemical and biological faculty.
Now the faculty consists of four departments:
- physical geography and geology (graduation). Specification – research on geology and physical-geographical disciplines (Earth science);
- tourism, socio-economic geography and regional studies (graduation). Specification – tourist researches, researches on socio-economic geography, local natural researches;
- history (graduation). Specification – research on the history of Ukraine, ethnography and ethnology;
- Theory and methods of physical education and sports disciplines (graduation). The specification is the study of health-saving competencies.
In addition to the departments on the faculty there is a geological-paleontological museum, a interdepartmental laboratory of complex regional studies, a geotechnical laboratory, a laboratory of recreational geography and tourism.
The training of specialists is carried out within the levels of “Bachelor”, “Specialist”, “Master” in the following areas and specialties:
- 6.040104 Geography. (Bachelor);
- 7.04010401 Geography (Specialist);
- 8.04010401 Geography (Master);
- 6.020302 History (Bachelor);
- 7.02030201 History (Specialist);
- 8.02030201 History (Master);
- 6.010201 Physical education (Bachelor);
- 7.01020101 Physical education (Specialist);
- 8.01020101 Physical education (Master);
- 6.140103 Tourism (Bachelor).
На факультеті при кафедрі фізичної географії і геології діє аспірантура за напрямом 04.00.01 – загальна та регіональна геологія.
The Department of Physical Geography and Geology has a postgraduate course at the Faculty in the direction 04.00.01 – general and regional geology.
The faculty has developed a system of practical training of specialists, which includes educational and production practices. Educational practices provide practical consolidation of theoretical knowledge obtained in lecture classes. The list of practices corresponds to the profile of the educational program of each area of training and specialty. The peculiarity of geographical practices is their implementation in the natural and socio-economic environment in different regions of Ukraine and abroad – in different types of landscape, rivers, in forests, in the mountains, as well as in industrial and agricultural enterprises of various profiles.
Graduates obtaining higher education at the levels of “specialist” and “master” depending on the profile of the educational program assigned additional specialties or specialization:
- basis of the economy;
- organizer of regional tourism and tourism activity;
- Physical Education.
Students have the opportunity to further study foreign languages (Polish, Bulgarian, English, German).
Student scientific circles, as well as a student center of the Bulgarian Center, function at the faculty departments under the guidance of leading teachers.
Directions of scientific research of departments of faculty:
- Department of History – Historiography and Source Studies of Ukrainian History; the new and modern history of Ukraine;
- The Department of Physical Geography – Geological, Geoecological and Physico-Geographical problems of the Azov Sea.
- The Department of Tourism, Socio-Economic Geography and Local History – ethnographic, tourist, social and economic-geographic studies of the region.
- The Department of Theory and Methodology of Physical Education and sport disciplines – Health-saving Technologies of Physical Education and Sports.
- The Department of Law – Problems of Development of Selected Legal Branches in Ukraine.
The basic principles and approaches to the construction of educational process are competent and complex.
The main forms of training are full-time, part-time. An additional element of the educational process is distance education.
According to the quantitative indicators of the participants in the educational process, the most common forms are individual and group.
The main content of the disciplines is taught in the form of lectures, practical, laboratory and seminar classes.
The main information resources of the educational process are the library fund of the university and departments, free and gratuitous access within the faculty to the Internet, collections and stands of the geological-paleontological museum, stand materials of the thematic cabinets.
International relations of departments consist in scientific and educational cooperation of students and teachers. Every year students of the “history» direction pass archeological and ethnographic practices in Bulgaria (Stara Zagora, Sliven). Students of the specialty “Geography” were trained in Lepel (Belarus), Pskov, St. Petersburg (RF), Turkey, Germany, and Finland. New perspectives of the development of educational practices are opening in Poland. Teachers support scientific cooperation with colleagues from many European countries and Russia.
Among the student achievements, the most significant are the winners of the faculty students in sports competitions at the World and European Championships for free-ыенду wrestling, karate, kickboxing, rhythmic and artistic gymnastics, and others. The students of the faculty repeatedly won and became prize-winners of the II stage of the All-Ukrainian competitions of student’s scientific works, final stages of All-Ukrainian student Olympiads, various contests and competitions.
Among the perspective directions of the faculty development are the development of existing directions and specialties at the faculty, intensification of cooperation with foreign partner universities in the field of exchange of teachers and students, improvement of the qualitative composition of the teaching staff of the departments, expansion of the bases of educational and industrial practices, improvement of the material and technical base educational process and conditions of educational and teaching activities at the faculty, increasing the role of student self-government in the educational, scientific, educational and social activities of the faculty.